Magazine Courts Cartoon Controversy

Posted on Wednesday, February 22 at 08:00 by BC Mary
"I think that when you're a little magazine that's not part of a big chain, when you don't have a big marketing budget and when you're located in Calgary, maybe you're not taken so seriously as a journalism enterprise,'' the former advisor to Stockwell Day says. "In the long run I think we helped to establish ourselves as a serious magazine that will take risks for our editorial. I think that's one way we differentiate ourselves and we compete with people much bigger." Levant, 34, was making those predictions late week just as his contentious Feb. 27 issue was hitting the nation's mailboxes and newsstands. Or at least those newsstands that will carry it. Canada's largest bookstore chain Chapters/Indigo, as well as the Western-based McNally Robinson, have both opted out. Not that Western Standard's single copy sales were that significant. The Audit Bureau of Circulations publisher's statement for the period February 1, 2005 to July 31, 2005 shows that they only averaged 762 per biweekly issue. The rest of the magazine's circulation of just over 29,000 comes from subscriptions, paid or freebie (controlled). Which is why a bigger blow than lost newsstand sales came when Air Canada decided not to place the magazine in its business class cabins and airport lounges. That meant another 5,000 to 7,000 issues not landing in the hands of the high-flying readers that advertisers most covet. http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1140390609380&call_pageid=970599119419 [Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on February 22, 2006]

Note: http://www.thestar.com/...

Comments

1. Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:39 pm
    I wonder if Ezra Levant's newfound respect for free speech will have him printing images from the episode of South Park that is being boycotted by Christians?

Likely not.

2. Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:09 pm
    Rev: I'm still trying to understand the image of Ezra Levant riding
    around Toronto with Conrad Black in Conrad's limo.

Are these two losers brought together by bad luck? Are they two
    bad boys plotting to rise up again?

3. by Deacon
    Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:46 pm
    "But then, sometimes, a little short-term pain means a lot of long-term gain."

I concur %100.

I say we throw Levant lock Levant alone in a room with about 10-20 pissed off Muslim clerics and let his "short term pain" smooth over any of the feathers he ruffled in his assenine attempt at starting a religious war.

4. by shagya
    Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:36 am
    Who cares about "pissed off" Muslim clerics anyway? The cartoons in Denmark only came into existence because writers there are afraid of criticising Islam in print ( w/o illustrations ) ie. another "Satanic Verses", a book which was in the process of being remaindered back in the eighties when the loonies decided to "cash in". I don't see Christians making death threats about South Park.

5. by Deacon
    Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:50 pm
    you obviously don't get it so allow me to explain:

Muslim clerics are muslim priests

faithful muslims take what their priests say very seriously

If a cleric tells his flock or members of his flock to protest in defense of the faith, it will happen and be well attended.

Protests often turn into riots, whether by accident or design is not important.

Muslim rioters are particularily efficient at going majorly apeshit as is evindenced by the burning of several danish emabssies.

Now, if muslim clerics, who have a large number of dedicated true believers in their congregastions say there with be unrest in the streets of lets say.. Toronto.. because Islam is under attack, then there will be.

Once that happens, bet on the shit hitting the fan in every other city in Canada with a large muslim population.

Do you understand now?

6. by shagya
    Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:35 am
    Understand what? That religious nuts are easily swayed? ... or that the hostility of the arab world towards the west is largely centred around the Iraq war a fact which the clerics are quite willing to exploit? I didn't invade Iraq , most of the population of Canada or Denmark didn't invade Iraq and doesn't support this war, but in some way we are all being blamed for it. The chief Imam of Copenhagen has been circulating additional cartoons which did not originate from "bad westerners" in his adopted country IN ORDER to stoke the fires of hatred towards the non-muslim world. What is it about this situation that YOU don't seem to understand?

7. by Deacon
    Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:12 am
    I know the story as well as you do pal, so please drop the second rate Diogenese imititation. He does it way better than you do.

And if you think that muslim hatred of the west is the result of the Iraq war then you're really living with blinders on.

It's been a reality for decades.

8. Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:29 am
    Apparently the conservative bloggers are supporting this Western rag/mag whoops...no surprises here<br />
    <a href="http://www.conservativelife.com/blog/index.php/canada/2006/02/">http://www.conservativelife.com/blog/index.php/canada/2006/02/</a><br />
    <br />
    I wonder how many will state their public support in Alberta especially while Ralph goes after the one who made those disgusting comments about his wife? And they were disgusting, but they were supposedly made by a conservative member...so we'll see<p>---<br>If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

9. Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:07 am
    So let me get this clear? You are scared of muslims rioting in Canadian cities, so you would give them what they want? Once they know people like you are easily pushed over by fears of violence, where will it stop?

I think that would just give them the courage to riot until every woman is forced to wear a hijab, it's illegal for men to shave, and the state religion is Islam.

Keep in mind, theocracy is desirable for most moderate muslims who don't riot. Look at how the muslim community pushed Sharia in Canada. No wonder muslims in Canada are turning a blind eye to their radical members.

I've met many muslims in Canada who have explained to me that they believe it's their religious duty to help exterminate the Jewish race. They say it's written in the Koran. I have found through experience that there is very ugly islamic-sanctioned racism right beneath the surface of many moderate seeming muslims. I know this is anecdotal, and certainly not all muslims fit this profile, but I have seen it many times. Most friends I know have similar stories. I wish it weren't true. I have even known ex-muslims who have renounced their religion because of the awful things they've seen their colleagues do in the name of Allah.

Some people will call me a bigot, and I guess there's no avoiding that on the internet. But it just isn't true, because I have some really nice muslim friends too, and I wish everyone could just get along.

Some people will call me racist for calling attention to this problem. It's very easy to do. But keep in mind, I'm just someone pointing the finger at a very big problem that Islam is struggling to deal with.

Does anyone have any idea how us non-muslim Canadians can help the situation?

10. by shagya
    Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:13 pm
    The point here is that your idea of argument is an attempt to try and sound "tough" in this discussion group in the hope that this will intimidate others into silence. This doesn't work. Also I'm not trying to imitate any other contributor whoever they may be. As for your final sentence you may have "heard the story" but this doesn't seem to have had any real effect. So I will say again that the death of a hundred thousand people is not something to sneer at.

11. by Deacon
    Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:15 pm
    Knowing when to keep quiet when you're in the same room as a crazy man with a gun is hardly appeasement.

Deny them their "righteous reason" and they can do nothing without obviously being the aggressors.

It only buys us some time before the inevitable happens, because someone, somewhere, will set the whole thing off.

At least without morons like Levant doing their stupid human tricks we had ome form of moral high ground we could use to "reason" with them.

Kiss that chance goodbye.

12. Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:44 pm
    These were cartoons. I've seen them, they were bland, boring, and only one was funny. I've seen much more hideous stuff on South Park. These sort of cartoons are drawn all the time in the western world. If they can freak out about stupid cartoons, tomorrow they can freak out because women here don't cover their hair in public. We can't possibly keep denying them their "righteous reasons" indefinately. There is no point to asking Levant to shut up, because they will always find more to be offended about.

Eventually, we are going to have to draw a line in the sand, and say that we are not going to change our behaviour to appease them.

Where would you draw that line?

13. Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:53 pm
    This isn't a right vs left issue, don't try to make it one. I'm hardly a conservative, and I support the Western Standard regarding the cartoons. I think it's high time we stopped appeasing fanatics, and stood up for our right to free speech and right to lampoon anything or anyone we want. Canadians watch much worse on Southpark every saturday night in the name of entertainment. If we banned those cartoons, we would have to ban dozens of others too, until all we have left is bland PC crap. And then we wouldn't be Canada anymore.

This has everything to do with fanatics in one religion insisting that they be treated better than other religions, and threatening us with violence if we don't.

And for the record, I think Levant is a total ass for insulting Klein's wife like that.

14. by Deacon
    Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:38 pm
    I agree, the origanl 12 were lameass as could be, and the 3 that the honest and nobel Imam of Copenhagen added were the ones who stirred up the nest.

I say we take a pass on those cartoons because frankly they're not worth drawing a line in the sand over.

Wait until something really worth fighting for appears on the radar.

12 stupid cartoons drawn by a non-Canadian in a foreign nation isn't something I consider worth the effort.

Now had a Canadian drawn them, now that's a different kettle of fish since it affects our "Freedom of Speech" here directly.

I personally don't care much about the Danes especially given the sneak moves they tried using to steal some of our territory in the high arctic.