New Orleans Inhumane Treatment!

Posted on Thursday, September 01 at 22:14 by whelan costen
More from the article: "These are good people. These are just scared people," Demmo said. Outside the Convention Center, the sidewalks were packed with people without food, water or medical care, and with no sign of law enforcement. Thousands of storm refugees had been assembling outside for days, waiting for buses that did not come. At least seven bodies were scattered outside, and hungry people broke through the steel doors to a food service entrance and began pushing out pallets of water and juice and whatever else they could find. An old man in a chaise lounge lay dead in a grassy median as hungry babies wailed around him. Around the corner, an elderly woman lay dead in her wheelchair, covered with a blanket, and another body lay beside her wrapped in a sheet. "I don't treat my dog like that," Daniel Edwards, 47, said as he pointed at the woman in the wheelchair. "I buried my dog." He added: "You can do everything for other countries but you can't do nothing for your own people. You can go overseas with the military but you can't get them down here." The street outside the centre, above the floodwaters, smelled of urine and feces, and was choked with dirty diapers, old bottles and garbage. "They've been teasing us with buses for four days," Edwards said. People chanted, "Help, help!" as reporters and photographers walked through. The crowd got angry when journalists tried to photograph one of the bodies, and covered it over with a blanket. A woman, screaming, went on the front steps of the convention centre and led the crowd in reciting the 23rd Psalm. John Murray, 52, said: "It's like they're punishing us." http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=world_home&articleID=2019786

Note: http://www.mytelus.com/...

Comments

1. Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:02 am
    This is just too sad. These people will be without homes for a very long time.
    I saw Hillier on Cpac huffing and puffing and blowing his own horn. He just makes my skin crawl. There was no humility in what he was saying or how he was coming across it was all, "We told the president that we'll be there for our friends, our neighbours, our closest ally." "The Americans have everything they need, they are well equipped but we'll be there if they ask."
    We're about as late as the well equipped Americans for these people. When you don't have a home, no food, no water, no place to take a piss in private even it's just unimaginable. And if you have seniors or children to take care of what do they expect but for people to be looting?
    But, rather than hauling goods out of stores to give to these people they'll set up jails for the looters, because there'll be none of that while there's a disaster taking place! WTF?
    Bush should be left in the middle of this disaster to experience what real life feels like. Let him have to go without life support for 4 days and see how well he copes. He comes across as a character that would be the first one overpricing gas from a station he claimed for himself! When are the people of the states going to recognize this man as nothing more than a complete failure at EVERYTHING! Everything he touches turns to dust. What kind of god is speaking through him?

---
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche

2. Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:48 am
    >>"The Americans have everything they need, they are well equipped but we'll be there if they ask."<<

Screw that!! They shouldn't have to ask. We should have determined what they need that we can offer and started shipping it down there immediately! People, medical aid, buses, food, water; whatever was needed should have started getting down there as soon as the hurricane ended, if not before.

My heart is breaking for the people of New Orleans in particular. While I do agree there are going to be a lot of accusations and the current administration is going to look pretty bad for poor planning and slow reaction in the face of such an emergency; I would say the immediate concern is helping these people.

I don't care how much FEMA, the Red Cross, the National guard and the other organizations are doing, the simple truth is that no matter how much is being done, it won't be enough; it won't be fast enough. The longer this drags on, more people are going to suffer & die. More help will shorten the duration of the crisis. The assumption that things are under control, so we'll politely offer to help, but won't do anything till we're asked is just so much bullshit! They shouldn't have to ask. We should've had stuff rolling down there days ago!

This would have been a good chance to show the Americans that we are truly their friends; that when we talk about "those damned Americans" we are talking about their major transnationals and their government policies. We are NOT talking about Americans! They are our brothers and sisters, cousins and aunts. As a Canadian, I want to help, but don't know what I should be doing or contributing to the relief effort. It would have been nice if our government could have given me a clue, instead of bragging about how we'll be there if we're needed. We ARE needed! We should already be there! All I can do is apologise to our American neighbours for failing them in a time of need and to let them know that our government does NOT represent the feelings of the people of Canada!

3. by DL
    Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:01 pm
    Um what is the protocol? I mean can an army of one country go off into another country, even to help, or do they have to ask and arrange it with the other government. No sarcasm, I don't know the answer. I agree they can use all the help they can get.

4. Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:04 pm
    I think it is clear that ordinary people can see and react better than these paid leaders. But as for Canada offering help, I really don't think that we can actually just send trucks down, how would they cross the border without permission to do so, same as flying stuff in, without the government asking, we can't just fly over their zone. I mean if we could, then why can't the National guard get to these people? I mean the U.S.is a big country and if other states can't get aid to them, then how can another country? Something is standing in the way of this relief, but what is it? By now most people can see that this has been handled very poorly! To allow people to go without water, and basic necessities for this amount of time is nuts and when I hear the calls for money, it makes me sick, because how can our money help when they are just refusing to get product to them? Sure there will be an investigation into it, but how many will be dead in the meantime?

So I agree it is tragic, but I think the PM has to offer, and they have to accept, before we can do anything. The sickening part is that many people have been reported on the news to have tried to get out of the area, and have been turned back by military, others have been able to get into the area, but the aid can't seem to get in, why?

---
    If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

5. Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:30 pm
    Diplomatic clearance is required anytime even a single military vehicle crosses the border, if it's not cleared it constitutes an invasion.

Canada should send helicopters and water purification systems perhaps, they would seem to be what's needed and most useful.

6. Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:36 pm
    perhaps they could use our Sea Kings!

7. by DL
    Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:43 pm
    Thanks whelan and Anon below, that is what I suspected but thought maybe in emergency the rules might bend a bit. I can't figure it out either. If military are keeping people from leaving the area, that is strange. They can't or won't help these people and they also seem to be frustrating any effort for these people to save themselves, ie. looting/securing the basic necessities of life. IMHO, we arent't just seeing the tragedy of massive devastation, but also the evil associated with ill intentions. I'd like not to start thinking in that direction, but events as they are unfolding defy reason.

8. Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:56 pm
    Well the next thing will be that journalists will start being shot so the story will not be told! Can't have people questioning the intentions or motives of the we-could-care-less-about-the-people-just-stop-the-looting Bush government! Setting up the porta-jails and forget the porta- hospitals and porta-potties, and porta-housing! Unfrigginbelievable!

JesusMaryJosephX3

9. Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:13 pm
    Hurricane Katrina's E-Looters<br />
    Suspicious Web pages supposedly raising money for Gulf Coast relief efforts keep springing up about as fast as authorities can shut them down. The latest are <a href="http://www.hurricanekatrinapics.com">www.hurricanekatrinapics.com</a>, <a href="http://www.hurricanekatrinarelief.com">www.hurricanekatrinarelief.com</a> and <a href="http://www.katrinadamage.com">www.katrinadamage.com</a>, all of which ask for Paypal donations but do not make any claims that the money collected will benefit any relief organizations. <br />
    <br />
    All three sites are registered to a company in New Orleans called Ideas Inc., which according to a LexisNexis search is owned by a guy named Bruce C. Henry. The latest records yielded by the search indicate its charter was revoked by the Louisiana secretary of state several years ago. I am told the handlers over at the SANS Internet Storm Center are working to get this site and several others like it shuttered. I am happy to report that all of the sites we mentioned in yesterday's post have been closed down. <br />
    <br />
    SANS also is reporting another e-mail scam that tries to trick recipients into clicking a link in the body of the message. The link attempts to install computer code that could give attackers complete control over your computer. The subject line of the e-mail: "Is Government Reaction to Katrina Because of Loss of Life, or Loss of Property?" If you receive this e-mail, just hit the delete button.<br />
    <br />
    By Brian Krebs | September 2, 2005; 12:20 PM ET | Category: Latest Warnings <br />
    Previous: Katrina-Related Scams, Continued | Main Index <br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/09/hurricane_katri.html">http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/09/hurricane_katri.html</a><br />
    <p>---<br>Perception is two thirds of what we perceive reality to be.<br />
    <br />
    Difficult decisions are a privilege of rank.<br />

10. by DL
    Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:20 am
    Yes I believe the journalists in Iraq got the message early about the short life expectancy cost of truth. If this doesn'tn't wake up the Bushwacked nothing will.

11. Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:39 am
    Of course The US is free to refuse Canadian aid, and I agree we couldn't just start sending people and supplies down without permission, But I think the situation faced by the people in New Orleans was (or should have been) clear, and that more help meant a speedier response and less suffering. I really don't believe the US would have refused the aid, no matter how early it was offered.

The day after the Hurricane, Martin should have said our assistance was ready to move and needed only their permission to be on its way. While I'm appalled that the US administration dropped the ball badly, I'm not much less disappointed in the Government of Canada's response. In a situation like that, time is the biggest killer. All the help in the world won't do much good if you get there too late.

Even I knew when I heard that the levies broke and couldn't be plugged, that things were going to get very bad vary quickly. If I knew it, you can be pretty sure our government did also. It was then that we should have acted.

While it's laudable that we now have a couple of ships with people & supplies on the way, the assistance is too little and much too late.

12. Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:36 am
    <p>4Canada,</p> <blockquote>… But, rather than hauling goods out of stores to give to these people they’ll set up jails for the looters, because there’ll be none of that while there’s a disaster taking place! WTF?</blockquote> <p>the New Orleans police realised this early on — they didn’t stop people from looting supermarkets, because they knew that potable water, food, diapers, &c. would soon be in short supply. Apparently among the things that FEMA didn’t plan on was those looters who not only helped themselves to guns and ammunition, but started firing on the people who were trying to get survival supplies to the refugees in the Dome and the Convention Centre!</p><p>---<br>Shatter your ideals upon the rock of Truth.<br />
    <br />
    — The Divine Symphony, by Inayat Khan<br />

13. Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:50 am
    Okay, Brother Jonathan that explanation would make some sense. I did not get that information or that impression from where I've been so far. However I have read how the people there had the impression it was shoot to kill or zero tolerance if you were looting and after 4 days of no help and shoot to kill orders I may have even looked for a weapon for self defence. I don't know I'm inclined to think trust would be in small supply after literally being abandoned. I get rather repulsed with the "build the jails" mentality with Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib so fresh in my mind.

---

14. Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:55 am
    Wonder what the people of Iraq feel about this?