Open Letter To Governing Liberal Party Of Canada

Posted on Wednesday, April 13 at 10:03 by Anonymous
Our vaunted RCMP has become/is a joke. This "police force" is not autonomous and is certainly not an entity unto itself. So when criminals within government steal from the people they are sworn to represent, and are, at the same time, controlling those judges, the courts and police forces . . . who, then, really protects the people from those "honorable" members of goverment who are unworthy of the monicker and appear to function without morals, conscience or humility? Where (and when)does the buck stop? You, yourself, were conveniently "unaware," as I recall, that your former company, CSL, had received one hundred and sixty million of our tax dollars. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always laboured under the (apparently false) illusion that tax dollars are collected to finance this country's military, healthcare, and various other infrastructures required to operate this country and serve its citizens. I would like to know when and under whose watch things were construed and manipulated into a "welfare fund" for private businesses and corporations who don't share their profits with the people of this country and, in fact, take every opportunity to exercise their rights, long ago put into place by old political friends repaying contributors, I'm sure, that enable these organizations to exempt themselves from paying taxes in this country or, if absolutely unavoidable, only on a minimal basis. The people of this country are sick and tired of being "used and abused" by this party system that has high-jacked governments at all levels. And you cynically refer to yourselves as a "democracy"? Switzerland gives every indication of being a real democracy and it sure as hell doesn't smell like Canada's government. Quite frankly, I hope this causes the people of this country to stop believing and trusting all political parties who continually run roughshod over taxpayers and either deny them true representation or simply ignore their wishes. Time and again the stories circulate of citizens attempting to contact their representatives who hide behind voice mail and secretarial staff, or who totally ignore by neglecting to return phone calls or correspondence. You and your government are all about creating perceptions, while at the same time denying realities on a scale similar to the French throne that saw Marie Antoinette lose her head to rioting citizens who had had enough. If, indeed, the people of this country are destined, because of malfeasance (in this instance, by those directly and indirectly affiliated to and associated with the Liberal Party) to a "government" under HARPER, then the social programs currently in place should be protected by the equivalent of a "pre-nuptial" agreement that would save Canadians from Harper's real LIBERTARIAN agenda which, I'm sure, calls for privatization of our health care and social security programs for starters. How do the people of Canada get such an agreement? Or should we all simply roll the dice with our eyes closed and live with whatever result accrues? The sleazy and superficial political game apparently authored by Liberals under your predecessor has certainly taken away whatever few options we may have had. Harper will prove to be no better and, I suspect, he is quite prepared to sell out our nation as we have known it; and will do so, thanks to the exposure of the sponsorship scam. "Sedition is the tradition" in Quebec, and it is high time the Bloc was taken down many pegs by a government with the balls to stand up to it when they continually threaten to leave this nation. I can sympathize with their stand as they feel their culture is threatened - much in the same way as I feel Canada is on the verge of being completely swallowed by the United States. Personally, I'm fed up with the machinations and spin we've all been getting lately, and while I am no supporter of the current system, I would far sooner have a contrite Liberal minority than Harper and his collection of self-serving opportunists. I am disgusted. Thanks for nothing. Wayne Coady Cole Harbour N.S. [Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on April 13, 2005]

Topic

Comments

1. Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:43 pm
    Bravo!

I would like to believe that the citizens of the so called democracies will catch fire and start a revolution the like of which have never before been experienced on the face of the earth!

A revolution of awareness and consciousness that can only come by a paradigm shift in cognisance.

The above open letter from Wayne Coady could be the spark needed to ignite the seething discontent some of us feel in regards to the politics of our time.

Or

I really don’t want to think of the “or” and yet see more if it than I do of the kind of discontent needed to bring about the kind of revolution necessary for change
    A. Non Y. Mouse

2. by avatar Jesse
    Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:03 pm
    This is a very well written letter, tying in to a great many things said here and elsewhere. Excellent post!

---
    Canadians are asking, why do americans hate us? They hate our freedoms: our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to disagree with each other.

3. Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:07 pm
    Absolutely. This is a viewpoint which I think many, though not enough, Canadians share. I wrote a similar thing in my <a href="http://www.jointheweb.org/?F=showarticle&id=11">blog</a> yesterday. Probably follow it up with another today.

4. by hoopoe
    Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:30 pm
    I see that even in your blog you don't have the guts to identify yourself. If you want to have an opinion, own it by doing so.

5. Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:26 pm
    Tottally uncalled for remark

A.Non Y. Mouse

6. by avatar Jesse
    Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:46 pm
    I agree that was uncalled for; anonymity is a right, with various valid reasons to pursue it. People have been fired for writing in their personal blogs, and it's a good precaution to take.

The moral: leave the friendly anons alone, it's only the viscious ones we object to.

---

7. Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:56 am
    I am impressed, excellent letter, hope you sent it to the press, not that they'll print it, but I think many editors of mainstream press are starting to get the idea, the tides are changing!

---
    If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

8. Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:57 am
    This is the kind of rant which scares and depresses
    me. Get a grip, man.

You offer no solution, no ideas for a better way of doing
    things.

It's just "We're all gonna die ... boo hoo ... I feel so bad!"
    Crikey. That just gives me the total willies.

Right now is the time for positive thinking. You can
    make a difference if you get into positive action.

Get up on your hind legs and start campaigning.
    Here's your start: "Vote ABC ... Anybody but
    Campbell".

I hope to see you back here soon, with a much
    healthier attitude about saving beautiful B.C. And after
    that, Canada.

---
    Mary

9. Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:35 pm
    BC Mary: It is time to end this corruption and these vile political parties. I am tired of playing checkers and alway being jumped by some cheating political bum. Political parties a vehicles which the crooks use to steal our "government" and by the way Mary ,why haven't these well connected ethical lawyers who oversee the party structure, done something to end this corruption, could it be they are the one who are driving the party get a way car.
    regards

Wayne Coady

10. Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:46 pm
    I am a Canadian by choice, a taxpayer who has always believed that we live in the "best country on earth"...how deluded was I to be unaware that our elected "representatives" are mainly representing their own interests, not those of the citizenry. It appears that we have been robbed by those we trusted to use our hard-earned money to run the country. I was fined five years ago for receiving an extra week of E.I. benefits COMPLETELY INNOCENTLY. The penalty and interest on that money levied against me, after I lost my appeal [which took almost a year to settle,] caused me enormous hardship. I was unemployed [at the age of 57] and had to pay back what I "owed" at $50 per month for several months. This happened at the same time as Canadians discovered the HRDC and its multi-million dollar boondoggle. How scandalous that I was forced to restrict my ability to go grocery shopping and feed myself, so that the Liberal Government could cover up its corruption and misspending of the EI fund. Without food banks [community run by Volunteers] some of us would go without food at all. I worked as a teacher for more than 40 years in a Christian private school [no pension at the end of that.]Now I am about to lose my remortgaged home as I cannot live on the meagre CPP pension [less than $500 per month] and pay all my bills, now that I've exhausted my savings.
    Perhaps my choice of Canada as home instead of UK was mistake. I never thought so before the sponsorship scandal, but now I'm considering leaving because of this mean-spirited band of criminals. I am poor because I'm honest. HELLO... a lightbulb moment!! To succeed [or merely survive] we need to be liars and cheats. It has taken me to the age of 64 to understand how LIFE works.

11. Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:01 pm
    Well my friend it is time to push the parties out and fight to reform how this country is governed. I say lets push for the Switzerland system , sure it a slow process of government, but maybe that what is wrong here, some one in a rush to steel us blind.
    THINK CONSENSUS

12. Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:42 pm
    I know I am sort of putting words into Wayne's mouth here, but I think that without directly suggesting it he is actually calling for a revolution. Fair enough, I'm game.<br />
    <br />
    [For an article calling for something similar in the US, go here: <a href="http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_16704.shtml">http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_16704.shtml</a>]<br />
    <br />
    It seems likely that revolution is coming at some point. The poor of the world will only be pushed so far and at this point they are making scant progress in a few nations and falling desperately further behind in most. They vastly outnumber the wealthy; it is only a matter of time.<br />
    <br />
    Where the revolution will start, and whether it will be within the balance of my life (I'm 54 now), I can't say. But it's coming ... unless those of us who are of good will and good social conscience begin to fix the bloody mess. We can certainly start with our own mess, but we had better learn how to export our progress in short order. <br />
    <br />
    Canada is fully able to set itself as a shining star, a beacon for all nations to follow ... but not until we get our heads out of America's ass. I don't mean we have to be their enemies, but until they learn how to play nice with the world, we should be no more than tolerant acquaintances. <br />
    <br />
    I think the social upheaval gathering steam in South America might be the beginning of the end for the corporatist rape of the world. If I am right, I think it would be in Canada's best interest to have cleaned up its house, to have begun the long process of exporting progress in a humane manner, and to have distanced ourselves from Washington.<br />
    <br />
    An overhaul of our electoral system is long-overdue; a revamping of our parliamentary democracy is long-overdue; the installation of adminstrative structures that truly serve the people is long-overdue. The only way to make any of that happen is to make noise ... not polite letter-writing, they're just filed by some low level functionary and you get a terse form letter (there is a standard government form letter known as Form FU-1). This will need people in the streets, it will need civil disobedience, it will need organizing in every city and village. But if the Philippines could manage to make Fernando Marcos pack up and run, surely Canadians can manage to overpower the dolts who we persist in electing.<br />
    <br />
    One final point with which I agree with Wayne: I too would far rather have a chastened and contrite Liberal minority than any government run by Stephen 'Genghis Khan' Harper.<br />
    <br />
    Paul Harris<br />

13. Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:48 pm
    My goodness we do have something in common, feeling for man kind. Welcome on board Paul .

14. by hoopoe
    Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:42 pm
    Anonimity a right? Come on. A responsible person owns their opinions and comments by identifying who they are coming from. Do you think that when the Liberal Party opens this person's letter and sees anonymous signed at the bottom of the letter they are going to give any credence to it? If you want further argument to support this, read the letters section of any newspaper and see how many letters they print with anonymous signed at the bottom of it. Nobody values this sort of cowardice.