Vive Le Canada

New claims of Guantanamo torture
Date: Thursday, January 12 2006
Topic:


Fresh claims of torture and abuse at Guantanamo Bay have been published by Amnesty International to mark the US detention centre's fourth anniversary.

The London-based human rights group said 500 detainees continued to be held without charge or trial and repeated its call for the centre to be shut.

Meanwhile, cases against a Canadian and a Yemeni detainee are getting under way at tribunals at the centre in Cuba.

Such tribunals are also criticised for failing to give suspects a fair trial.

Amnesty said there were mounting allegations of appalling conditions, torture and ill-treatment of detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

The group highlighted the case of Jumah al-Dossari - a 32-year-old Bahraini who was taken to Guantanamo Bay in January 2002.

His lawyer said Mr Dossari had been urinated on, threatened with rape and had his head repeatedly smashed against the floor. The claims have been denied by the US government.

He had reportedly attempted to commit suicide 10 times, the rights group said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/4602874.stm

Published: 2006/01/11 16:11:45 GMT


http://news.bbc.co.uk/g...



This article comes from Vive Le Canada
http://www.vivelecanada.ca

The URL for this story is:
http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article/181512195-new-claims-of-guantanamo-torture