Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:51 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> Action-Jackson
<strong>Date:</strong> 2005-04-08 12:51:00
<a href="/article/225106834-middle-class-should-fear-us-integration">Article Link</a>

George W. Bush is now engaged in a new campaign of lies and fear to spread the false notion that Social Security is on the verge of insolvency. It's an effort to raise support for privatization and ultimately the elimination of this crucial and popular social program. And there is talk of yet more tax cuts, this time for corporations. Meanwhile, America's most important export continues to be jobs that pay a living wage. <p> There is a common thread to all of these outrages. Directly or indirectly they all aim to bring about a wholesale transfer of wealth from the poor and middle classes to the rich. They represent a diversified strategy to further exaggerate the already gaping chasm separating the rich from the poor; the systematic elimination of the middle class; replacement of elected government with corporate rule; and ultimately, the establishment of a neo-feudal society in the technological age. <p> This is the hallmark of Bush's America. And Bush's America is the county that John Manley and his rich friends want Canada to link itself with even more intimately than we have already done. Do we want this for Canada? <p> The wealthy have nothing to fear from deeper integration, but as a member of the middle class, I'm not so confident. <p> For <a href="http://www.cbc.ca/insite/COMMENTARY/2005/3/31.html">Commentary</a>, I'm Tim Birt in Kingston. </p>

If you don't like these ideas, I've got others. --Marshall McLuhan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:36 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If this is what we're up against, we need to abrogate NAFTA, end any defense arrangments we have with the USA (including withdrawing from NATO), direct all our trade to cooperative Europeans and Pacific nations, and close the border to all Americans. If we don't, pseudo-Americans like Manley will continue to push integration bit-by-bit until it's a done deal.

The New York Times (sorry, I know it's neocon, but let's assume these numbers are correct) reports that in 2004 the USA imported US$ 256 billion in goods from Canada, about 20% of their imports. Slamming the door shut on Americans would bring their teetering economy to its knees.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:44 pm

"The New York Times (sorry, I know it's neocon,"

That's pretty funny, what the hell are they putting in the water up there ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:14 pm

<p>Title is a little wrong, there is no middle class, only a working class and capitalist class and this post is only the tip of the iceberg. If you want a really good read to better understand the mentality (no pun intended, yeah right) of the Americans, read the <a href="http://www.cheatingculture.com/">Cheating Culture"</a> by David Callahan.<p><p>---<br>"If the people at the top won't play the game fair, why do they expect the people at the bottom to play the game any differently."

"If the people at the top won't play the game fair, why do they expect the people at the bottom to play the game any differently."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Well, there are lawyers and doctors, and many more groups let's not simplify too much.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:58 pm

I don't dispute the cheating part in America, but hasn't this always gone on? Let's not glamourize the past.

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:38 pm

They keep saying closer ties.We are so close now I can`t breath.Just how close do they want to get!Hey it also almost all guys talking about this.Maybe they are coming out of the closet?This is more than silly.We need more distance!

X

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:15 am

Is Tim Birt really a Queen's University professor? All I could find was that he is or was an Adjunct or Assistant or Instructor in the biology department. Is he qualified to write on this subject?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:36 am

Everybody could be affected by this. As far as I am concerned, that makes everybody qualified to speak out on the subject. That's a big part of our problem. Too much weight is given to a tiny few "experts" on either side of the ideaological divide, and the hopes and wishes of the broad majority are almost never heard. If you're a Canadian (or an American) you could be adversely affected by further integration of the two economies and societies. That makes you qualified to address the issues. Let's hear you!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:45 am

Why would you assume that a person can't have sufficient knowledge about a subject to comment on it without having a PhD? Last I heard it is perfectly legal to read books without one. I don't mean to say that we should accept things out of hand but as one becomes more well-read it becomes easier to judge whether someone knows what they are talking about and if the thought is logical and sound.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:11 pm

Just asking a question...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:10 pm

and no JUST question it was ;-)

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:41 pm

Interesting first chapter. Sort of goes with the stockbrokers who steered their clients into gold even as the Twin Towers were collapsing, 'cause they knew it would skyrocket. Or like the company execs who celebrated the military move into Afghanistan, 'cause it would shoot up their share prices. Yes, I saw: <a href="http://www.thecorporation.com/">http://www.thecorporation.com/</a><p>---<br>RickW

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:43 pm

How about this close?<br />
<a href="http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/politics/article.jsp?content=20050328_102751_102751">http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/politics/article.jsp?content=20050328_102751_102751</a><p>---<br>RickW

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:24 am

more integration only serves the power/money elite. With the crew we have in power -all the main western countries, I don't hold out much hope that our lot in life will improve.

One of the best things about living in Canada, is that the slack jaw thirdworlders the NWO would like to move here, don't like it so much because a) they don't like the cold b) don't like snow, c) don't like to work in skill trades 'cause it means exertion, and they don't like swing' hammers and turnin' wrenches, preferring instead, stocking grocery shelves and working behind computers, y'know, easy work, d) did I say they don't like the cold?