Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:41 am

<strong>Written By:</strong> eugene
<strong>Date:</strong> 2006-03-21 09:41:00
<a href="/article/232314643-theres-no-life-like-it">Article Link</a>

Remember you can blog from Kandahar. No need to sit on your ass in Canada, this is YOUR WAR. Go Now, don't delay.

Thank you this has been a free public service announcement on behalf of the Department of National Defense and our Brave Men and Women in combat. Defending Canada from the Taliban Navy and Al-Quaeda Airforce.

<a href="http://plawiuk.blogspot.com/2006/03/theres-no-life-like-it.html">http://plawiuk.blogspot.com/2006/03/theres-no-life-like-it.html</a>

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:06 pm

Do you have a verification that that is where most of the ads for the military are being played? There's plenty of underemployed youth in EVERY part of the country, with three national broadcasters I'd be surprised if that's where the majority are being played. I have satellite and get stations all across the country and I haven't actually seen too many ads at all. Would you mind footnoting that claim?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:25 pm

I am not convinced that media advertising is the issue. I have wondered whether the placing of recruitment offices in areas of high unemployment is not a major factor along with strong recruitment programs directed at students in these areas. It seems that most of the soldiers killed and wounded have come from small town and rural Canada, not the cities.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

i know they were rotating the ads full tilt on this past weekend here in the okanagan.

keeping them safe and properly prepared should be our first goal,the young and adventerous will always be first in line and we have to make sure they are trained well,because as most of us know when we are young,we are indestructable.

don't bitch at them,bitch at the rogue politicians sending them in harms way,without our permission.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:02 pm

Interestingly enough I read an article reporting on a surge in enlistment. Almost makes me want to join.

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:05 pm

We were getting the ads here in Southern Ontario too.

---
Dave Ruston

Dave Ruston

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Military life wouldn't be too bad if all sergeants, lieutenants and generals would be shot tomorrow.

Ed Deak.

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:34 am

There are several billboard ads for the armed forces in TO right now, including one on Front just across from the Globe. I pass 2 more on my way into work every morning along the Lakeshore. Not exactly poor areas. The Toronto office is at Younge and Sheppard. Again, a fairly typical middle class area. Plus the regular innundation on TV and radio. Your poor man/rural outrage conspiracy theory rings hollow. <br />
<br />
As for putting your money where your mouth is, I'll reverse your logic. If you believe that anyone who supports the Afghan mission should sign up to the Canadian forces, then conversely those who oppose it should get off their duff and start protesting in person and not just sounding off in chat rooms like this. You all had a prime opportunity to protest while Powell was in town just this past week... and only a dozen showed up. Were any of you there? If not... why? You seem to expect me to give up my job, my commitments here for months or years, but yet you can't even make time to show up to a single demonstration in the largest city in Canada. Surely some of you puritans live in the area and could have made it. <br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142466804821">http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142466804821</a><br />
<br />
Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:24 am

You're right Michael, hypocrisy has indeed no bounds !!!!!

Cheers, Ed.

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:08 am

People seem to be ignoring the point of the article here - that war mongers should join up if they are so gung ho. That they haven't only suggests that they are yellow-bellied chicken hawks like their ilk in the US

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:29 am

And you pacifists should stand up for what you believe. At least the US anti-war crowd can generate some participation from their ranks. You can't seem to get more than a handful out to protest. Practice what you preach.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:28 pm

According to recent news specials, there's no unemployment in
Canada! Alberta is weeping for lack of job applicants! British
Columbia has construction to be done but no skilled tradesmen to
hire! It's the same everywhere, they say. Are they wrong?

Their only hope, they add, is to increase the immigration of skilled
workers.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:04 pm

Just because we oppose Canadian troops in Afg. doesn't make us pacifists. Maybe we just know enough about the military and history to understand that it is nothing more than a worthless, symbolic action to please the self appointed Masters of the Universe.

Anybody who comes to my house with a weapon in hand, or mischief in mind, could end up with a few holes in his skin.
One more or less on my record won't make too much difference. We don't get any home invasions out here, because the crooks know that we hicks in the sticks don't fool around with asking questions first.

Ed Deak.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:17 pm

<< No one thought they were signing up to kill and be killed. >>

Gee, missed that first time around.

Has to be one of the funniest comments I've read in awhile.

I tend to think most who sign up for the army have some inkling there may at some point be violence involved, either by themselves or directed at them.

If, I'm wrong in this regard, hope none of those who were confused about some of the tasks generally associated with military organizarions return home to become firefighters, police, etc. ("Well, I never thought I'd actually have to fight a fire...just wanted to ride on the big shiny red truck and run the siren".).

Best thing that could happen to this country would be to lock all the right wing crackpots and left wing crackpots in a room to duke it out and hope none of them came out...although, I'd have to bet on the right wings folks if push came to shove.

Make things a lot easier for us non-ideological, non-partisan types.

---
"When we are in the middle of the paradigm, it is hard to imagine any other paradigm" (Adam Smith).

"When we are in the middle of the paradigm, it is hard to imagine any other paradigm" (Adam Smith).

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:34 pm

skilled tradesmen to hire! It's the same everywhere, they say. Are they wrong?<<

Not all unemployed are skilled in the construction trade. You answer it. Do you know any unemployed who are not in the construction trade?

---
Expect little from life and get more from it.

Expect little from life and get more from it.